Tag Archives: patios
When deciding between the choice of stamped concrete or pavers cost is often a determining factor. Although, the two may be very similar in price depending on materials and pattern. The most important part you will want to consider is the life of the structure.
Paving stones define beauty, elegance and durability for driveways, pool decks, walkways and patios. Properly installed paving stones won’t crack, sag, shift or separate. It will look fantastic for generations, and if it ever becomes stained or marred by paint or oil it can be repaired quickly, easily and invisibly. Individual stones can be replaced with matching ones so that the surface looks exactly as it did before the accident occurred. This is impossible with any other type of pavement.
PAVERS aka PAVING STONES
- They won’t crack – when installed correctly.
- Paver patterns and colors can be mixed and matched to create unique designs with accent borders and bandings.
- Endless colors, textures, and shapes, so there is no limit on what materials you can use.
- Lifetime of color and enjoyment. Most of our pavers are enhanced with a paver-shield technology making the paving stones fade resistant.
- Very low maintenance, the joints may need to be retouched with sand every few years with polymeric sand that binds and hardens the sand grains to each other and the pavers too.
As with pavers, the costs of repair, if necessary can be far more beneficial than that those for repairing stamped concrete.
Although there are some advantages to decorative or stamped concrete, it is almost inevitable that the concrete will crack at some point in time. Common causes of cracking are when the base moves due to load baring or settlement, and the fact that concrete tends to shrink over time. Concrete may also crack as a result of the expansion and contraction caused by freezing, thawing, and other changes in the weather. The reason contractors place joints in concrete.
- The sealer needs to be reapplied every 2-3 years.
- Colors may fade over time.
- There is the possibility for deterioration from de-icing salts.
Cracking of stamped concrete patios or walkways can be very expensive to repair. To repair the concrete correctly you would have the area destroyed and removed and then installed again. The other options are to leave the area as is, which will look very unattractive and can become a tripping hazard over a period of time. There is a filling agent that can be applied to the damaged area, but it is still visible and won’t correct an area that rises up.
Even though stamped concrete can be very attractive and maybe more affordable in some cases compared to pavers, it is clear that pavers outweighs the option of concrete when considering the life of the structure.
Did you know pavers can be applied over concrete?
Contact Us for a free consultation @ (717)632-4074
We know choosing a retaining wall contractor right the first time is important. Our retaining walls offer both functions, beauty, and are built to last. We have been providing York & Adams County area families with quality and well-built retaining walls for over 10 years.
When considering hiring a contractor there are many questions that go into building a retaining wall that must be asked.
1. How wide and deep should the footing be? (This is the most important part of the project)
2. Does the contractor have experience?
3. What type of equipment do I need?
4. Does it need to be engineered?
5. How much drainage do I need?
6. How tall should it be?
We can take the guessing part out for you. At Ryan’s Landscaping we stand ready to serve you and answer any and all questions that may come up during the project. As with any retaining wall project, the chances of problems coming up are there. With over 25 years of combined experience we work proactively to minimize any downtime on your project.
We pride ourselves on making sure your retaining wall is installed properly the first time. Everything from digging the footing, to adding the proper drainage behind the wall. We will see to it that it’s done right the first time
Who is Ryan’s Landscaping:
From landscape design to retaining walls, ponds to pavers. Ryan’s Landscaping is the Hanover Area, Gettysburg, and York’s most well–respected landscape and retaining wall contractors. Why? Because our work motto is “Professional quality from start to finish”. Make an appointment online or call 717-632-4074.