Tag Archives: brick
Pavers vs. Stamped Concrete
When deciding between the choice of stamped concrete or pavers cost is often a determining factor. Although, the two may be very similar in price depending on materials and pattern. The most important part you will want to consider is the life of the structure.
Paving stones define beauty, elegance and durability for driveways, pool decks, walkways and patios. Properly installed paving stones won’t crack, sag, shift or separate. It will look fantastic for generations, and if it ever becomes stained or marred by paint or oil it can be repaired quickly, easily and invisibly. Individual stones can be replaced with matching ones so that the surface looks exactly as it did before the accident occurred. This is impossible with any other type of pavement.
PAVERS aka PAVING STONES
- They won’t crack – when installed correctly.
- Paver patterns and colors can be mixed and matched to create unique designs with accent borders and bandings.
- Endless colors, textures, and shapes, so there is no limit on what materials you can use.
- Lifetime of color and enjoyment. Most of our pavers are enhanced with a paver-shield technology making the paving stones fade resistant.
- Very low maintenance, the joints may need to be retouched with sand every few years with polymeric sand that binds and hardens the sand grains to each other and the pavers too.
As with pavers, the costs of repair, if necessary can be far more beneficial than that those for repairing stamped concrete.
Although there are some advantages to decorative or stamped concrete, it is almost inevitable that the concrete will crack at some point in time. Common causes of cracking are when the base moves due to load baring or settlement, and the fact that concrete tends to shrink over time. Concrete may also crack as a result of the expansion and contraction caused by freezing, thawing, and other changes in the weather. The reason contractors place joints in concrete.
- The sealer needs to be reapplied every 2-3 years.
- Colors may fade over time.
- There is the possibility for deterioration from de-icing salts.
Cracking of stamped concrete patios or walkways can be very expensive to repair. To repair the concrete correctly you would have the area destroyed and removed and then installed again. The other options are to leave the area as is, which will look very unattractive and can become a tripping hazard over a period of time. There is a filling agent that can be applied to the damaged area, but it is still visible and won’t correct an area that rises up.
Even though stamped concrete can be very attractive and maybe more affordable in some cases compared to pavers, it is clear that pavers outweighs the option of concrete when considering the life of the structure.
Did you know pavers can be applied over concrete?
Contact Us for a free consultation @ (717)632-4074